From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:24:08 -0600
Hi Rich,

I guess the first question/assertion is whether you have determined that
(all) those posts are records. They certainly could be subject to FOIA/open
records type requests I suppose, so maybe that's moot.

Many of these tools allow subscription through RSS; a common (though
probably not ideal) approach is to capture that RSS output, either as an RSS
feed or XML file itself or streaming it into a repository somewhere. It
wouldn't be that hard to do; the challenge is the thinking through the
process to make sure that everything is being captured. The second issue
with that is that not everything is exposed to RSS - for some reason I'm
thinking that status updates in FB are, but not wall-to-wall posts. I could
be wrong but I thought there were some limitations there. Certainly for
Twitter, DMs would not get captured by that process. On the other hand,
there are some Twitter backup tools that can be used to capture @s, DMs,
your entire timeline, your followers and following, etc. And the third issue
is that you end up capturing everything - which of course is less than
ideal. On the other hand, at least for an official "State of Wyoming" social
media strategy and presence this could be controlled fairly easy.

There is a lot of work being done in that area by the MuniGov 2.0 community.
For more information, check their Google site (wiki) at
https://sites.google.com/site/munigov20/. And I speak on this all the time
(including coming up in Orlando) - for some examples, check my Slideshare
site at http://www.slideshare.net/jessewilkins8511.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company,
organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

jesse
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins