From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:07:15 -0600
I think part of the challenge is that on the one hand, there are so many of
them, and they are so readily accessible through users' personal
smartphones, laptops, etc. that it is technically very difficult to block
them. Policy is very important, but a policy of prohibition will lead to
users routing around it. And if 30% of your users are routing around the
policy, can you really say you're going to fire 30% of your users?

The other thing is that the reason so many organizations are investigating
the tools is because there can be significant benefit to using them, whether
as very lightweight touchpoints to your constituents or as another formal
communications channel - see e.g. LAFD's usage of Twitter at
http://twitter.com/lafd.

I'd only point out that many organizations had policies prohibiting the use
of the Internet at work for similar reasons, and prohibiting email before
that. Then we figured out that in spite of all the March Madness and dancing
elves, these tools could really be useful to organizations. And we figured
out ways to let people use them without going crazy. I know we're not all
the way there yet either, especially with respect to email, but can you
imagine prohibiting email today? In a much shorter period of time we'll be
in the same place with respect to these tools. And it's not a generational
thing, either - it's a willingness to consider the value of a tool and to
learn more about it.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company,
organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

jesse
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins