From:
"Gerencser, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:45:03 -0400
I'm quite confused by this argument.  Should there not be a broader discussion of the business argument for or against using a particular technology beyond what is most convenient for the records managers?  Fine, you can write a policy outlawing these tools.  But what if your CEO wants to use these tools?  Or your VP for marketing?  And for a government agency, don't you need to be where your constituents are, and don't you need to be using the tools that will allow them to work with you and allow you to support them?

I think Jesse put this far better than I am, but saying "no" because it's too hard seems awfully short-sighted.  These challenges won't go away, so why delay the inevitable?  Start working on it, thinking about it, and dealing with it.  You'll never find a solution to a problem unless you look.

Just my philosophical rantings on a Thursday afternoon.  I've perhaps been told "no" by one too many IT professional during my career to take such an attitude lightly.  And apologies for my sarcasm earlier.

Jim Gerencser