From:
Linda Buss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 20:27:16 +0000
John, et al:

You make valid points that I failed to include in my original statement.  Reasonable need for the technology was not demonstrated by those who wanted to use IM, nor could they assure management that they could capture those items identified as records.

I was the last person Management turned to when asking for input.  The technology at the time (2004) was not as mature as it is today, and my concerns were that decisions would be documented during the IM sessions and not captured in a manner that could be managed successfully.  My resources at the time (ARMA and AIIM) provided excellent information that I used in my presentation to Sr. Mgmt, pro and con.

Not wanting to appear to be a Luddite, I do adopt new technologies, but prefer to see them reach a point of maturation before making the plunge.

John said:
I think my comments may have misconstrued.

As with all things there is a time and place for these systems.  I have
never been one to "back away" from developing an effective RIM program
within our organization.  As a matter of fact, I am in the midst of
implementing a content management system.   If you've gone down that road,
you know how difficult it can be.

Just to keep this ball rolling, I have not seen tools to help manage
records for  these type of systems.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  I would
suggest that once these tools are developed, RIM and IT professionals will
throng to them.