From:
"Gerencser, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:13:50 -0400
Larry,

My primary point, which admittedly was not well made, was that waiting for a records management solution to the challenges presented by a particular technology before implementing that technology AT ALL within an organization is probably not the best approach.  Just as those "legal beagles" will place their restrictions, so too others with authority will "want to do something" and will force an organization to plunge in without due diligence and without having any concern for the records management implications.  Planning is ideal, when afforded the opportunity, but waiting for a perfect solution is not realistic.  Bottom line is that those who develop the technologies seldom, if ever, give any consideration to records management or archiving issues.  That generally means that the records management solutions need to be developed by records managers and the archiving solutions need to be developed by archivists.  We will always be playing catch-up, in that regard, and with the speed that things move, it behooves us to start working on solutions as quickly as possible rather than placing moratoriums on use until the perfect solution is created for us.  I think time has shown that we can't effectively slow down the pace of change, so we need to embrace those technologies that best serve our own particular business needs and begin working on the records management solutions (which probably won't exist at the time of adoption) as soon as possible.  Waiting for perfect is untenable.

Jim