From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 01:01:10 -0400
You forgot, 100% of Chris's emails have textual errors.  I have taken
the Liberty of correcting errors for the lay people.  Like the ones
that tell the rest of us to remove them from the Listserve because in
their haste to leave they cannot go back to the directions that tell
them how.  Just like those lamos who send Peter and Larry emails that
are easily looked up on Snopes, but don't because the conspiracy
theories sound so believable.  Hey what can I say, I really thought
Bill Cosby was running for President as a write in candidate.  But
that platform was solid man!   ;~)

On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: September 3, 2009 5:16:30 PM EDT
> Subject: Updated stats
>
> 85% of all records are never referred to again,
> once they have been filed.

Whoa, we were supposed to be filing them??    Put me down for a higher %

> On the average, one-third of all records retained in the office
> should be destroyed and another 1/3 should be moved to inactive
> storage

The reason we need records managers is because somebody out there has
still
has to flip the coin.  What happened to the other third.  Are they
using my un-filing
system?

> 1% - 5% of all records are misfiled

If 85% are never referred to again, how will we know this.  And if we
were are actually
looking for all 100%, then wouldn't this number be higher?

> It costs approximately $100 to find a misfiled record.

If it is lost no matter how much you spend, you can't find it.

> 95% of an organization’s records over 3 years old are never
> referred to again

If we never looked for 85% at all, shouldn't the third year number be
higher.
Plus you said we should be destroying 33% per year. After year three,
there
is nothing left.

> 70% - 75% of all correspondence is internal

Man then that only leaves 47% that are external. If we send mail to
others, if we
slip below 75%,  must we ask them for it back so we can file it? That
means some
of you will not receive a Christmas Card this year. That would drop me
below 70%.

This is why I never pass that darn CRM exam.  I am waiting until I
become
President of the U.S. and I am awarded honorary Doctorates and I am
going
to ask for the CRM thing too!  I will also submit an executive order
certifying
that Chris's stats be accepted as official.  Until then, like Area 51,
they are not
real!

For the record Booz Allen Hamilton and Arthur Anderson said they never
conducted
those studies that keep confusing us.  But I believe if you show the
CEO how hard
the math is in records management that you might get a raise.

Luckily 100% of paper records, computer media and microfilm that are
exposed to
catastrophic fires exceeding 1,500º F with no vault in sight are gone
forever and that
is one number you can take to the bank. And that stat put three kids
through college
and turned two of them into Doctors.  None of them wanted to sell
vaults or be records
managers because the math is too hard. Doggone statistics!

Have a great day!

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134