From:
"Enns, Lois" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:48:25 -0700
In Canada, many of the larger cities use the MoReq2 standard as well as
DoD 5012.5 to evaluate ERMS solutions. MoReq stands for Model
Requirements for the Management of Electronic Records was begun by the
DLM-Forum in 1991, published in 1996, and updated in 2008 as MoReq2.
Like DoD, companies can have their software certified against the
specification. There is a lot of info on this online, here is the link
to the specification:
http://ec.europa.eu/transparency/archival_policy/moreq/doc/moreq2_spec.p
df

We recently used this standard to determine if SharePoint could meet our
ERMS needs. We were already using SharePoint as an intranet solution and
have four sites. We also built a proof-of-concept for document
management in partnership with a consultant. However, when we did a gap
analysis against MoReq2, we found that only 35% of the requirements were
met by SharePoint. We then found a study produced by Microsoft and a UK
company that said the same thing. Finally, we met with our three
Microsoft reps, discussed what we wanted, and were advised they agreed
with the finding and supported our choice to seek a full ERMS solution.

I agree with Jason that SharePoint is a great short-term collaborative
tool for medium to small business. It is not so good for a government
organization that needs strong records management, especially
auditablity.

IT administrators like SharePoint because it make the user groups
responsible for managing access. In a Windows Directory environment,
access controls are usually managed by IT and it is a time-consuming
job. In SharePoint, the users take on this role with greater or less
success. You then need strong norms (and policing) because the system
does not necessarily provide the governance.

Lois Enns

LOIS ENNS  BA MISt | RECORDS MANAGER
CITY OF SURREY
Legislative Services Division
14245 56 Ave, Surrey, BC, Canada V3X 3A2
P 604 591-4554 | 604 591 8731 www.surrey.ca