From:
Beatrice Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:28:23 -0400
That's where I'm having a huge fight with Legal. I fear that Legal will take over Records Management as they have already practically taken over the retention schedules. Long story short. Records Retention was made a big corporate project this year. I was to partner with Legal to get our retention schedules and the LAN cleaned up. Legal took the project and ran with it. The schedules were distributed to departments and practically wiped clean of any vital records or off-site storage information. There are no regards for ARMA standards or editorial consistency.  Retention periods have expanded and the schedules convoluted. I found myself always saying, "that's not the way it's done" or " in the past we did this".  No one listened. When I complained I was told to just oversee the project completion. Legal didn't pass an internal audit a few years ago because of their records management practices. But his is Legal, who will doubt their expertise in the field.

Beatrice Williams
Manager - Archives & Records
NCCI Holdings, Inc
901 Peninsula Corporate Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33487
Office: 561-893-1606    Fax: 561-893-5850