From:
"Cheryl L. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:47:25 -0400
In my experience with legal, I learned that they are experts on the
legal value based on laws/regs, but they don't often consider
user/operations requirements in case it's needed for business use beyond
legal retention periods, nor do they wear the archives hat for ensuring
that organizational archives criteria is met. One thing that we did with
our schedules is to tag an (A) on the total retention requirement for
each record series that should be submitted to central archives for
review so they are not automatically destroyed. That way, we're able to
ask some questions about what should be destroyed and what should be
preserved. Since our schedules are produced from an Access database, we
can identify those series with vital records by using a simple check box
and be able to produce a separate schedule off the master data file.

Cheryl Rose
Records and Archives Analyst
W.K. Kellogg Foundation
PH 269-969-2042; FAX 269-968-0413