From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:37:45 -0400
>I have done this sort of thing as I have Departmental Retention
>Schedules. I also have a General Retention Schedule which cover Records
>Series that ALL department have.

Sounds like a perfect example of the need for a Functional Retention
Schedule and the ability to do away with two schedules.

Categorize the records series by the function the serve for the entire
organization... is one was "administrative", any administrative records,
regardless of the aspect of the organization that produces or receives them,
could get their guidance from the same portion of the schedule.

The primary benefit to this is if/when an organization restructures, you
don't need to make a crosswalk to determine what series they used to use and
what series they use now, because the series number would remain
unchanged... all you'd change is the reference to the former/current
department name.

> I am thinking of having all policies fit into one of
>these categories:  Administrative/Operational Policies; HR Policies;
>Lending Policies (I work for a bank); and Compliance/Regulatory Policies.

If these were all under the heading "Administrative" in a record series
assigned to "Policies and Procedures" and the different categories had
differing retentions, you could organize it like this:

1) Administrative
    1-01) Policies and Procedures
        1-01A) General/Operational      X years
        1-01B) HR                             Y years
        1-01C) Lending                      Z years
        1-01D) Compliance/Regulatory  A years

They all save the same function within the organization, to provide policy
and procedural guidance of an administrative nature and while they serve
different purposes and may have different retention periods, this allows
them to be grouped together to facilitate locating them in the retention
schedule

Larry