From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 05:07:54 -0700
Nolene, another consideration is what I recall from working in banking with California branches years ago... escrow had a different angle in California -- there is what most of us consider escrow, which is collected over the life of the load to pay taxes, insurance, etc. The other type is unique (to me) to California and that is where an independent third party handles the funds involved in a real estate transaction. The first type of escrow documentation would be tied to the loan; the second was strictly tied to the particular transaction. My recollection of the retention for the second type of escrow record was that it was based on California law and was considerably shorter than the first type. Completion of transactions plus four years is what I recall, but don't cite me on that.

Title records would be tied to ownership of the property, although if the holder of title records is a title insurance company, those records are generally permanent.
 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell