From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:27:22 -0400
Hi Brad.....

I don't know that there really is an easy way to do this.  If this shared
drive follows the pathway that paper has in the past,  you should be able
to destroy upwards of 70 - 80%  of the records right from the start.  Of
course, this involves an electronic records inventory of the existing
files.  At some point in time, retention will have to be assigned to all
these records.  Also, you will have to classify all these records
according to your current file structure.  This involves a great deal of
conversation with the owners or the departments where these came from.

If you have an EDRMS or electronic records system, this would be the spot
to store this material.  Retention will be different for each records
series.  You may also have to create many new series if the records do not
fall into your current structure.

If the record folder titles can be brought into Excel, chances are you can
export these into your electronic records system and create folders at the
same time.  If your system is intuitive enough, it may bring the contents
in at the same time.

Hope this helps,

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"

"Furlow, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
10/05/2009 02:51 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Archiving Unstructured Documents / Information

Greetings,

I have inherited a MASSIVE amount of unstructured documents stored on a
shared drive (we know of millions docs... so far).

When the policy was written some years ago (with little input by the
records personnel at the time), our legal team stated that to archive,
individuals should simply burn docs to CD-ROM & hand list the files on a
form.  Needless to say, I am NOT a fan of this process.

Now we have millions of docs, because no one followed that procedure
over the years.

Questions:

1.               Do you have suggestions or examples of how you handled
this type
of situation in the past?
2.               How did you organize the files to allow for destruction
of
documents from one or more disks without interrupting the retention
cycles for other docs / info?
3.               Did you do a re-org. of the folder structure before
deleting or
moving files?

Any suggestions on how to contain this "chaos" will be much appreciated.

Brad Furlow

Records Manager

Denver, CO 80237

Ph: (720) 977-3448

Email: [log in to unmask]

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

"*PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT WHEN DECIDING TO PRINT THIS MESSAGE*

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Confidentiality Notice:

The information contained in this communication including any attachments
may be confidential, is intended only for use of the recipient(s) named
above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of the message is not
distribution,disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly
resend this communication to the sender and delete it permanently from
your computer system.

Thank you."