From:
"Broud, Trish" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:50:40 -0400
Yes, Tod,

I picked up on that, too.

My concern is the fact that many Federal record series have limited retentions for 1 yr, 3 yrs, and 6yrs 3 mos.  In the paper system, many agencies had procedures that incorporated routine disposition of these records series.  As these records go digital, the procedures should be applied to them as well. This is a lot of data that does not need to and should not be maintained past their retention periods.  I would hope that Ferriero, if confirmed, would see this or have it pointed out to him by the NARA staff responsible for such things, and refine his quick judgment.

I also believe in the "front loading" of resources and having the agency processes continue to handle this disposition of the digital records just as they have been doing for years on the paper records.

I also noticed in Ferriero's questionnaire that he said that "printing to paper is not a long term solution."  Paper is about the most permanent media, although I will admit that paper is not the most-searchable media.

These views are mine alone.

Trish Broud
SRA International
3434 Washington Blvd.