From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:33:14 -0700
> I'm looking for a cost comparison concerning "on site storage" versus "off
> site
> storage"!
>
> In my eyes it is cheaper for a company to store files off site - but this
> is
> unfortunately only an assumption. For the management board of a new
> company it is necessary to prove this assumption with papers and reports.

Don't have the time right now to get into great detail in a response to
this, but there are MANY factors to consider.

I'd suggest looking at the ARMA Guideline for Evaluating Commercial Service
Providers for Storage, which addresses in it's checklist many factors to
consider when determining the appropriateness of an in-house of commercial
provider.

Also, there are many bundled costs for off site storage, some easy to
calculate, others are business related "costs" and risks

Quantifiable costs
Preparing for storage and transfer
Storage
Transportation
Indexing
Services (Pull, refile, destroy, database updates, reports)
Insurance (if offered beyond the customary $1/bx)

Other
Inability to locate records
Delays in access to content
Fire or other damage
Loss during transportation
Records mis-delivered to wrong client
Mis-filing records returned to storage
Late billings and inability to reconcile costs

The items listed as "other" aren't always going to happen, but there are
plenty of documented cases where they have and your firm has to determine if
these are acceptable to them when entering into a contact with a service
provider. Also, there are varying levels of quality of service providers, so
Caveat Emptor.

Larry

--
Larry Medina