From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:43:21 -0400
><snip>
>In a health-care debate characterized by partisan bickering, most
>lawmakers agree on one thing: American medicine needs to go digital.
>
>But such bipartisan enthusiasm has obscured questions about the
>effectiveness of health information technology products, critics say.
>Interviews with more than two dozen doctors, academics, patients and
>computer programmers suggest that computer systems can increase
>errors, add hours to doctors' workloads and compromise patient care.
><snip>

Bruce, as you and some others know, I've been on this topic like a rash for
almost 5 years now, http://bit.ly/1jMnlG communicating with lawmakers and
others involved in this process and having it apparently fall on deaf ears.

Partisan, Bi-Partisan... whatever.  No number of lawmakers getting engaged
in a  tug-of-war about how to accomplish this is going to resolve anything
until some KEY COMPONENTS are realized and acted upon to determine a
LONG-TERM strategy for moving forward. http://bit.ly/3JclQs

And there's more here with a number of embedded links to give some further
background on who's driving the bus that's careening out of control at a
high rate of speed down the hillside http://bit.ly/3UCrl8

Like many other endeavors, the decision to determine the solution prior to
addressing the problem is going to be why this fails... look at the FBI
Virtual Case File system as a perfect example of technology being thrown at
the problem without clearly understanding WHY it didn't work and HOW BIG it
really was.  http://bit.ly/15KRWv  This is without a doubt one of the most
staggering examples of a failure to properly deploy a RM systems and reading
the article is like driving by a car wreck for most RIMs, even 3 years
later, it's hard to believe the scope of the tragedy.

Someone has to use the medical know-how to apply a tourniquet to stop the
hemorrhaging before it gets out of control and tell the vendors to step back
from the pile of cash and put their hands in their pockets until decisions
on standards, formats, scope, persistent access, patient identification,
privacy, data exchange, and other critical components are agreed upon by the
impacted parties.  And NO, I don't think that waiting makes it more
expensive... if the FBI had waited, they could have still accessed the
paper.   And if they wanted to do SOMETHING, they could have indexed it,
made the index available to those who needed it, and exchanged information
as necessary... at least the index could be reused in the end.

Off my soapbox (for now)

Larry