From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:02:14 -0500
Lauren:
I do not know if you work for government or private business or what state you do business in, but many states have laws regarding the handling of SSN, including laws about who may see SSNs and how to dispose of records and documents containing SSN.  The primary commonality between the various state laws are "information collected for one purpose shall not be used for other purposes without notifying the data subject" (for example SSN collected to pay property taxes shall not be used to track down child support non-payers without telling the client the SSN may be used for that other purpose) and "records and documents containing SSN shall be disposed of in a secure manner."

I imagine reusing paper containing one client's SSN to imprint data relating to another client (including SSN) would not be considered acceptable handling of the data.  I presented an Educational Foundation paper on State privacy law at ARMA in Orlando that should be available on the Foundation site sometime in December.  If you contact me offline with your State, I may be able to send you some pertinent law citations.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division