From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:41:44 -0600
As much as I'd like to feel their message is off target, outside of our
communications as colleagues thousands of businesses are running, facing
litigation, using outside counsel and educating their IT groups without the
thought of a separate program function for records.  I'm only saying I
believe it's the truth of what's happening broadly when considering all
organizations of all sizes.  I think many of the most astute speakers on
this topic are at least aware of what strong efforts in a well-lead RIM
program can do, but as much as we converse about it among ourselves to the
nth detail day in and day out, we're not the norm in the overall scheme.  I
think this is a great moment of realization that there are many
organizations who aren't achieving the kinds of long-term solid improvements
which a formal, well-led program brings.

There are what, about 900 CRMs and probably three times that many
organizational leaders for records who may have other credentials or simply
may be a great records leader without having certification.  So with maybe
3000 - 4000 RIM leaders, that's far less than the number of organizations
that exist, even only counting larger organizations which are more likely
able to fund a program with a strong leader.

And in assuming 3000 - 4000 RIM leaders, the level of comfort of all those
leaders to initiate and lead within their organizations on the really
difficult, snarling issues we're facing maybe a thousand or more fewer.  If
many good RIM leaders hadn't pushed themselves to keep looking deeper and
farther into issues and seek more knowledge and experience where they aren't
comfortable, I'm sure in many cases they could create a comfortable niche
which would be out of the stressful areas.  I don't think it would last for
a career, but I believe it's still possible to avoid the tough issues and
allow other organizational leaders in Legal and IT to initiate and "project
manage".  But to avoid those issues will likely erode that role in the
organization's planning.

Thanks for the webinar review!