From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:27:45 -0500
Michelle asked: Has anyone had any luck getting these charges decreased ?
I'm looking for any cases where the fees have been denied or ruled
unenforceable.

Personally, I don't have a problem with per order minimums, in general.
Lots of companies use this as a way to ensure their costs are covered on
low-volume and/or one-off transactions (credit card companies, for example,
often do the same thing).  Their overall pricing is based on a number of
things, and includes an assumption of efficiency which is tied to order
volumes.  When volumes don't meet their expectations, they loose efficiency
(money).

That being said, the number should not be arbitrary nor should it be used to
artificially increase revenues.

If you feel that your per order minimum is not in line with what the service
provider's actual cost is to service your account, then I would suggest you
ask them to provide the metrics they used to come up with that number.

If they refuse, or can't, then you've got some ground to stand on to argue
that the fee is exhorbitant and you are not willing to pay until they give
you a solid business reason to do so or until they agree to a number you
feel is more appropriate.

I have such fees included in my contract, and am fine with them.  I don't
incur them often because we have procuedures in place to bulk-order.
However, there are times when I need one box, and need it right now.  I
realize that orders such as those cause operational difficulties for my
service provider, and so am willing to pay the extra $ to cover the cost of
my special request.

I don't fault any company for wanting to cover their costs and avoid loosing
money, so long as that is really what they are doing.  I wouldn't feel right
asking a company to take operational hits with no recourse to accommodate my
special requests.

Just my two cents.

Julie

--