From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:58:58 -0500
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This might be too general and not helpful immediately, but when negotiating
> with any vendor, nearly anything is negotiable depending on negotiating
> skills which often depend much on leverage.

another general point is that if you work for an organization that a
purchasing department be sure to get them involved. Also find out what
attorney in you legal department handles contract negotiations. Get both
individuals involved in the negotiations, that is their job day in and day
out. Tell them what you want they will represent you ie the company in the
negotiations. Your job is records management. I've been fortunate in that
I've worked for two different companies where legal and purchasing supported
what I needed in a contract. They also caught items in the general T&Cs that
I had missed in the review. One such item was the minimum storage
requirement ie if our storage volume dropped below 80% of the initial intake
we would be charged for 80%. At that employer we had a strong records
destruction program and we were able to do projections for x years out. Out
analysis showed that we could drop below that level.

so remember involve the contracts and purchasing experts they are on your
team you don't need to go alone. You WILL have to educate them on the
nuances of storage contract ie permout, new box, destruction whatever

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va