From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:08:53 -0500
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Sonya Sherman
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Well said, Larry - and great analogy!
>
> The caveat for standards is:
> they are a starting point, especially useful for those who are unsure where
> to begin when defining their own needs.

That is the key point take a look at the various design documents see what
they list as must have functions. Hold functional requirements meeting
within your organization. start to identify the functionality you must have,
would like to have, and the if you could get it that would be great
function. then map your requirements to the various guidelines

here is one tip though if you decide that you want to select a software
package that is say certified against the 5015 requirement when you do issue
your RFP and you ask "are you 5015 certified?" and they vendor answers yes
that means they do the required functions. Don't then ask a question that
points by to the required functionality and ask "Can your product create a
folder? Can your product do requirement x?" They have already answered that
question by saying yes we are certified? What you do want to ask is "HOW
does your product create a folder? HOW many steps does it take to create a
folder?" Become very familiar with the design criteria so you can ask the
smart questions
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va