From:
Steve Veatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:28:50 -0700
Greetings,
We have been hiring student interns for records management training for
several years.  We do this through the local workforce center (used to
be the state unemployment office). They have special programs for hiring
youth for the summer.  This year the intern's wages were paid for by a
special program through the economic stimulus package.

During the summer we had two young interns---one 18 and one 20. The 18
year old had no job experience other than selling popcorn at football
games.  The older intern had limited work experience, mostly as a guide
in the local tourist establishments here in the Pikes Peak Region.
Their performance was excellent during their internship.  The younger
intern is now working with the other group I manage--the Planning,
Budgeting, and Contracts Division of El Paso County (Colorado Springs)
Information Technologies. He now has his own office and works on a
variety of administrative functions.  He is enrolling in the local
community college next semester.

The older intern was hired at the end of his internship to work in the
data, network, and enterprise section of Information Technologies.  He
is now learning the technical part of our department.  He is currently
attending the local community college in the evening where he is taking
computer science classes.

Also, these two summer interns wrote a top notch article for the Denver
Mile High Chapter of ARMA's newsletter.

Two years ago I had a young man come to the records center through a
Work Experience Program run by the local workforce center.  This program
is designed to give young people work experience.  The program operates
all year and 50% of their wages are paid for 90 days.  He did not have
ANY work experience.  We taught him everything there is to know about
RIM and he is still with us doing a great job.  I expect to see him make
a career out of this and that he will stay in our employment for a very
long time.  We have done this with two other people 4 years ago, and
they are still at the records center making valuable contributions.  I
expect them to stay for a long time too.

Four years ago another young man interned at the records center.  He is
now a budget analyst in our Planning, Budgeting, and Contracts
Department.  If I did not have so many places for people to go in my
organization, the interns would still be at our records center working
hard and learning new things.

If any of you decide to work with interns, you will never regret it.
Let me know if I can help you.

Steve
Steven Wade Veatch, Division Leader
Planning, Budgeting, and Contracts