From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:47:30 -0500
A recent posting on the Museums listserv requested information on label printing technology that is extremely durable.

Mr. Andrew Bentley, Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead, University of Kansas Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center, posted the message I have copied below (with Andy's permission). I think some of us will find it useful.

In addition to the posting, Andy sent me an article on the subject "Thermal Transfer Printers - Applications in Wet Collections" which he wrote for the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC) Newsletter (2004). I will email this article (PDF) to anyone who may be interested.

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212.788.8615
Cell phone: 347.436.5360
Fax:  212.788.8614
www.nyc.gov/records
31 Chambers Street
New York, NY 10007
USA

There are very few laser printed labels that will stand the test of time due to the process that is used in laser printing. Dry ink is adhered to the surface of the paper through heat and electrostatic charge which over time breaks down and lettering falls off. It is also very susceptible to rubbing and friction. Some folks have taken to baking laser printed labels in an oven for a period of time to try and extend this period of adhesion with limited success.

The process that we use here for label printing will work equally as well for dry and wet collections and consists of a thermal transfer printer, spun bound polyester media and wax/resin ribbon. The ribbon is thermally embedded into the surface of the polyester using heat (much higher heat than in a laser printing process) and appears to stand up to the rigors of both wet and dry collections very well. The spun bound polyester is inert – does not leach anything out into or onto the specimens, does not react with alcohol or formalin and is unaffected by ambient temperature fluctuations, humidity and harsh chemical solutions.

The printer we use is a Datamax printer selling for about $1500. The media (500 feet of 4 inch wide material for about $230) and ribbon (1000 feet SDR ribbon for about $72) we get from Alpha Systems in Virginia which they sell as a “museum tag solution” (they also sell the printer if need be). We estimated that one label of about 2 inches x 4 inches would cost us about 10c.

We have been using this system for over 7 years now and have been very happy with the labels produced. I have had a very non-scientific experiment going on a window ledge here at the museum for 6-7 years now where I have printed labels in 95% ethanol, 3.7% formalin and glycerin in bright sunlight and have not seen any change in the labels – no yellowing or brittleing of the media and no fading or peeling of the print. The labels are almost indestructible and highly durable.

There are a number of ichthyology, herpetology, mammal, bird, herbarium and entomology collections using this system in both dry and wet collections.

FYI, Resistall paper is highly acidic and can “clear” larval and small specimens.

Andy
   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7593
USA