From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:30:57 -0500
Great advice Gary!  The Montana/Cunningham title is, essentially, a
compilation of the most compelling EOs that have an impact on RIM issues.
However, since it was published in 2006, there have been many more Opinions
rendered and should also be considered.  I'm hoping Google Scholar will wind
up with the EOs on it - would certainly make that research easier!!

One last bit, the ABA's president Carolyn Lamm created a new Commission in
August of this year called the ABA Commission on Ethics 20/20 and is a
follow up to the Ethics 2000 Commission's work about a decade ago.  The
charge is "to conduct a plenary review and assessment of the Model Rules and
other sources of lawyer regulation in the context of [more rule-based
professional regulation, acceleration of techological innovation and
increase in globalized law practice] trends ...".  In addition, the
"Commission will focus on ethical and regulatory issues affecting the entire
spectrum of legal work" (from Big Law to individual lawyers).

I mention this becuase I anticipate the Commission will likely have
recommendations for the Bar to consider adopting with regard to updating the
Model Rules.  And I highly expect that at least some of those
recommendations will have an effect on RIM in law firms.

The url for the Commission is: http://www.abanet.org/ethics2020/home.html.
The have just released a Preliminary Issues Outline and is asking for
comments.  There is a link to the Outline on their homepage.

Happy reading!

Julie
--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM