From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:48:38 -0800
We recently put into place a retention program for Outlook using using
managed folders in Symantic's Enterprise Vault.  During the transition
the one thing I notice again and again is that people use Outlook as a
filing cabinet for reference material rather than saving those items
to their local hard drive or department shared drive. One of our users
even goes so far as to email herself stuff so that she can put it into
a subfolder in her inbox. Another woman kept templates for frequently
used documents attached to an email, so that, when she was in the
field, could just access her webmail client and forward that email to
customers.

We have emphasized that the managed folders should be only for company
records, so I'm getting a lot of questions about what they should do
with this other, useful stuff. I'm hearing that people keep stuff in
Outlook because it's easier to find. It seems that we need a much
better tool than MS Search for finding stuff on our hard drives. I
know there is Google desktop (or whatever it's called), but at least
at my last company, IT didn't want us to use that and would delete it
whenever it was discovered.

Until I can come up with a better plan, I've been telling users they
can put this material into a folder called "Reference" (where they can
make any subfolders they need) into one of the medium term records
managed folders. But that still leaves a bunch of stuff in our email
vault. I'm hoping by sequestering it it will be easier to separate it
for discovery and in the future if we want to pluck those out and put
them somewhere better.

What are others using to manage those useful bits of info that aren't
records and don't really fit anywhere else, but should be kept around
for a while.

Nolene Sherman

Tracking where records are kept is what Tiggers and Records Managers
do best!