From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:32:43 -0500
Hi Mike, Jesse and all,

Remember ARMA's Records Management Quarterly? That publication was highly respected in the 1990s? On a site that has articles up to 1998, the following statement is posted:

"Flagship publication of the Association for Information Management Professionals [remember also when ARMA called itself this?] was continued by the Information Management Journal."

Sadly, IMJ is not as respected in academic circles as the Records Management Quarterly once was.

The lack of peer-reviewed journals in the US is a major concern of mine as well. I had a conversation just last week with a couple of people from ARMA's board about GARP and the push for professionalism - and used the opportunity to stress the necessity of having peer reviewed publications as well if we are truly serious about records management as a "profession".

Although many of us over the years have tried to impress on ARMA our disappointment over the IMJ's lack of academic integrity, I don't think we'll get much movement there. One reason used years ago to give up the idea of a peer-reviewed journal was the lack of both academic submissions and "peers" willing to volunteer to review the submissions.

Although I am most familiar with our Master's in Archives & Records Administration program at SJSU and with students in our MLIS program who also take records management courses, I also know there are other programs in both the US and Canada with faculty and students doing research in this area who would be eager to write for such journals.

ARMA members who believe in the importance of having a peer-reviewed journal should contact ARMA to request at least an annual publication that would be peer-reviewed. If enough members thought this was important, we might be able to persuade ARMA that it is a necessary step to take to promote the profession.

Pat

Patricia C. Franks, Ph.D., CRM
MARA Program Coordinator
School of Library & Information Science