From:
Deidre Paknad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:04:29 -0500
There are many companies that rely on collection of data as the method of preserving it (legal hold).  It is not less effective than sending notices to preserve, certainly, as legal has taken custody of the data to be preserved.

Be cautious of shifting the problem, though.  Companies that use this approach with large or diverse litigation often end up with a dedicated collection staff who collect documents for every case even though a large majority never proceed to discovery and the vast majority settle anyway.  Legal will need and want to distinguish between what was collected to preserve and what needed to be collected for production -- without having to repeat the collection and without duplicating the data if possible.  This requires more than trivial record keeping and inventory.  The other unintended consequence is a very large pile of legacy data accumulated in legal from every single matter that comes in the door (not just those that proceed to discovery) that is uninventoried and just as difficult to destroy at the end of the case -- and is itself subject to future legal holds.   This pile can easily reach 100TB in 12 months depending on your litigation load, data volume, and method of data/discovery management.   Think 2-6GBs/person times your matter volume times your average custodian count; avoid imaging everything!  Depending on your litigation volume and the diversity of information sought, collecting to hold may be the most expensive approach.

A few options for reducing the cost and complexity might include:
1. Increasing the precision of your notices so they are easier to read by the recipient (RIM, IT and general employees all think in different information contexts).

2. Creating an employee portal that shows the current legal holds and current retention schedules applicable to a single employee -- they don't need to fish in their inbox for hold notices and look somewhere else for retention schedules as they'll have a more definitive and easier source of truth.

3. Automating data holds on claims and other files directly in your claims systems to remove the burden and concerns of custodians so disposal can be routinely performed.  My experience in insurance companies is that a very small pool of data accounts for 90% of discovery data and it is often in systems that enable holds to be automatically propagated as soon as legal scopes the hold.

4. Automate data collection from custodians (if you choose that as your method of holds) so you won't need a dedicated team. Ensure that the automation method also catalogs all collections, ties them to both custodian and to case, helps legal distinguish between what was intended for preservation vs what was produced, and enables disposal at case end for custodians without other holds.

Hope this was helpful; let me know offline if you to discuss the pros and cons of the options in more detail.  Happy to share my experience.
Deidre

Deidre Paknad
PSS Atlas