From:
Rachel Hardiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:49:18 -0000
Hello Amanda (and all),

Thanks for mentioning the Information Research journal - to my relief, it turns out that it is on our research database but did not have enough RM articles to make it into my earlier list!

A  lot of the focus of the discussion so far has been on the desirability of having a US-based peer-reviewed RM journal, and I can see why this should be so - even where a journal is wide-ranging, its content can end up being rather skewed towards the editor's / publishers geographical base by default. It is worth pointing out, however, that the Records Management Journal is not tied to any national or regional professional body and explicitly positions itself as an international journal: perhaps it could be internationalized yet further through the submission of articles from more US-based professionals and academics and help fill at least some of the gap?

Incidentally, the Records Management Society in the UK seems to have cut a deal with Emerald, who publish the RMJ, to have all but the most recent years' issues available online to members - maybe similar arrangements would be possible for other professional bodies, to counteract the difficulty faced by non-subscribers (individual or institutional) in getting their hands on subscriber-only journals? Though the move does seem (at last!) to be moving towards more open access, such as that offered online by Archivaria and, more recently, American Archivist.

Regards,

Rachel.

Rachel Hardiman, BA (Hons), MSc
Senior Research Assistant
School of Computing, Engineering and Information Sciences
Northumbria University
Room 247
Pandon Building
Camden Street