From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:36:13 -0700
I thought I would weigh in a bit on the concept of peer review and
professionalism.

IMHO I think that our ARMA editors over the years do provide an equivalence
to peer review. And they have done it well. They constructively adjust
focus, suggest changes in direction and provide a knowledgeable assessment
of the articles submitted.  Often they will ask for additional information
or recognition of sources.  However, it is true that we do not have a
protocol that allows for submission of articles to PHDs or CRMs for comment
and acceptance.

My question is .. would that make for a better journal?  Theoretical and
well cited articles that are based in detailed research are wonderful but do
they always help us in our jobs?  I for one, like the IMJ format that
includes both the sacred and profane, the theory and the practice.

But in retrospect I would think it should be possible for the IMJ to conduct
peer reviews of major articles and cite them as such.

Perhaps that would be another step in raising awareness of our profession.

Regards
Jim

Jim Connelly, CRM
8 Oakdale Place
St. Albert, AB T8N 6K6
1-780-460-7089 cell 1-780-499-7200

FYI I posted a long note re professionalism to this list serve on Mon, 20
Nov 2006. (see Archives)  I recently reread it and see that it hasn't lost
any meaning.