From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:15:29 -0800
Interesting question, as I'm embarking on the same project.  As part of an overall RIM strategy at my company, I proposed incorporating formal elements of Forms, Reports, Policies and Procedures Management, which, if approved and implemented, would adopt exactly the kind of classification scheme you outline below. Our system is only in the development stage, but I don't anticipate any risks, only benefits.  However, there will certainly be some challenges:  (1) assigning roles and responsibilities for the various elements of designing, implementing and maintaining the program; (2) ensuring that naming/coding standards are carried across all elements of the program; (3) ensuring that there is a platform -- i.e., an organization wide intranet Portal -- to provide easy access to official, up-to-date documents; and (4) implementing a process for archiving documents that may be superseded but that we need to retain for legal or operational purposes.  I'm sure there will be additional challenges, but these spring immediately to mind.  I feel very strongly that incorporating these RIM functions should be done sooner rather than later at my company, so I would also be interested to hear from others that have thoughts to share.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.