From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:23:26 -0800
I would recommemd against any PII markings on a box of records. What you want is an anonymous, bar coded brown or white box that looks just like hundreds or thousands of other brown or white boxes in the records center. And for that reason, using boxes marked with your company name is a bad idea as well. All that should appear on a box is the bar code and other coded identifiers that serve solely as license plates. Ideally, the box number in numeric and bar code form and maybe a customer number if that helps the vendor ensure proper delivery of your records.

Years ago, the records center that I ran for a corporation received a box from HR. Five sides of the box (we did check the bottom) were marked "CONFIDENTIAL PERSONNEL RECORDS" in large bold letters. In effect, the box (which sat on at least three docks on the way to the records center) said, "OPEN ME -- COOL STUFF INSIDE".

When something ordinary looks extraordinary, it is going to attract attention, not protection.
 Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell