From:
Laurie Carpenter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:09:51 -0500
As mentioned earlier, read your contract before disclosing any pricing
information, you do not want to be in violation of your contract. The ARMA
document that was recommened earlier is the result of many long hours of
work by the task force and should provide all the right questions to ask the
vendors.  Here are a few more items that I didn't see covered so far in the
discussion.

In your analysis of your current storage landscape, you might want to do
some research into things like, what is the average size of your boxes, not
what you "think", but based on the statistics. What percentage of your boxes
are below or above the standard box size? When you're negotiating fees,
these things can come into play if your services are based per CF vs. per
item.

On your bills, are you being charged the actual size of your box, or the
amount of shelf space it displaces? Many years ago, I found out that someone
had sent a box to storage that was something like 1/2" bigger than a 1.2 CF
standard carton. The vendor charged us for a 2 CF box due to the
displacement factor.

I saw mentioned in the discussion about rate increases after the first year.
It's always a good idea to see what the parameters are around when the
vendor can increase rates. What happens, for instance, if the contract
renews, but then a few months in to it, the vendor significantly raises your
storage and service costs, but there are 3 years left on the contract?

Opinions my own and not those of any employer.

Laurie Carpenter, CRM
Burbank, CA

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:57:11 +0300, NKhramtsovsky <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Everything is good in moderation. IMHO no harm will be done e.g. by sharing
average/approximate annual per box offsite storage expenses.