From:
Nicole Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:47:51 -0500
Content Managers usually deal with content born digital and maintained
in content management systems.  They usually have skills in the
development of content management systems, enterprise content management
systems and have a background in IT, supplemented with records
management lifecycle management skills.

If your interest is Web 2.0 and digital documents you may want to
research if you want to build Web 2.0 systems (blogs, wikis, etc.) or
manage the content for these systems.  This will allow you to tailor
your courses.

However, a records manager can also take on the role of a content
manager as well but will have to learn how manage digital content in an
information system.

I think a mix of both is best.
______________________________
Nicole Williams
OPP/Registration Division
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(703)308-5551
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Garet Bleddynn <[log in to unmask]>                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |01/27/2010 11:27 AM                                                                                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Student Questions                                                                                                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Good morning, everyone,

I have some questions I wanted to fire off to the list. I apologize if
any of these questions seem, well, dumb, but I figure if I never ask a
question, I'll never get an answer.

As a prelude, I am a MA candidate at Middle Tennessee State
University, and I am in an archives class this semester. I am a
non-thesis student as I am much more interested in what I can do than
what I can write about.

Now, my professor has indicated there's a big difference between
content managers and record managers, but it's so early in the
semester that we have yet to really investigate either. I have an
interest in Web 2.0 and records that are born digital, will always be
digital, and how those records are archived and treated. I really
cannot say I know enough to even formulate some very "good" questions.

If any of you have the time and inclination, would you mind giving me
your views on CM and RM and how you professionally and philosophically
approach digital record-keeping?

Thank you for your time and my apologies for rambling,
Garet

--
M. Garet Bleddynn
the message.