From:
Judith Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:07:57 +1000
(apologies for cross posting)

Dear Colleagues

Regarding the postings to the US RM list of 10 June
(<http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1006B&amp;L=RECMGMT-L&amp;T=0&amp;F=
&amp;S=&amp;P=37493> )
and 17 June (
<http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1006C&amp;L=RECMGMT-L&amp;T=0&amp;F=&
amp;S=&amp;P=9646> ) about the new International Records Management
Standards ­ ISO 30300 and 30301.

While we thank Larry Medina for alerting listservers to the release of these
draft standards, we would like to clarify some issues raised in the posting,
and refer readers to the existing explanation paper and FAQıs for ISO DIS
30300 and 30301 covering their relationship to ISO 15489 and related
standards.  Both are freely available at:
<http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&amp;objId=9332972&amp;objAct
ion=browse&amp;viewType=1>

1) These standards do not replace ISO 15489, they are doing different
things, as we explain below. These are a set of standards directed at
Management, and position records management at the management systems level
(a particular type of standard), which will strategically align
recordkeeping with quality management, security management, environmental
management etc. As such, the community of professionals involved in the
development of the new standards are excited about the possibilities that
this opens up for us professionally.

2) The international standard is not in 2 parts ­ they are 2 separate
standards (ISO DIS 30300 & ISO DIS 30301) in a series of 5 proposed
international standards which will collectively form a coherent Management
System for Records (MSR), including certification and auditing components
(yet to come).

3) The people involved in the development of these documents have spent
considerable time explaining what they are:
a)   Internationally we have been discussing and working on this project
since May 2007.  In this time over 18 participating countries have been
involved in extensive work on developing, commenting and critiquing
documents that have been presented. The recently released texts are the
results of this consultation process. We assume that the official
representatives of participating countries are keeping their own communities
informed.
b)   These particular documents have now reached the ŒDISı or Draft
International Standard phase.  Before reaching this phase, each
participating country has been asked to formally comment on drafts of these
documents at least three times.
c)    A paper was distributed to participating countries with the previous
Committee Drafts explaining the vision and approach of the new ISO MSR 30300
series and its relationship with ISO 15489 and related standards.
d)   A 6 page Frequently Asked Questions paper was also distributed with the
recent DISıs covering a range of topics to assist people in reviewing the
drafts and understanding their relationship to other ISO records management
standards

These latter two documents are freely available on:
<http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&amp;objId=9332972&amp;objAct
ion=browse&amp;viewType=1>
and we urge you to read them as background information.

4) Language is always an issue when dealing with formalising professional
practice, and especially across cultures.  This standards process is no
exception. In addition to dealing with our own professional language we have
needed to comply with the requirements of management system standards ­ a
particular breed of standards.  So, inevitably, there has been extensive
discussion and debate internationally on the language.  However, we have
been scrupulous in addressing this, with a robust and documented methodology
to ensure that all cultural and technical concerns have been identified and
addressed.  Professor Xiaomi An, known to many in the records community, has
taken the lead on ensuring rigour in managing terms and definitions in
conformity with relevant ISO standards.

5) Because we are working within a prescribed framework ­ that of the ISO
Management System Standards ­ we have to conform to some standard text.  It
has been agreed that strategically this is important for our community, and
we have worked hard to ensure that the text preserves the integrity of our
professional understanding while meeting the ISO management system
requirements.

6. As a final note, some countries have held conferences, forums and other
events to explain and promote the MSR standards, aimed at top management who
are focussed on what is needed to deliver products and services to customers
and stakeholders. ISO TC46/SC11 is developing a global program to continue
this marketing and information exchange ­ to be implemented across a range
of countries, forums and media simultaneously. We encourage you to use the
expertise and knowledge of your SC11 representatives in this way.

Please do contact your national standards committee for any additional
information about the MSR developments, or feel free to contact us directly
(details below).

Regards

Judith Ellis
Convenor ­ Working Group 8