From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:01:35 -0700
Hey Caroline,

Your question does not seems strange for me at all.
I explain it very often to the people who thinks that Archivists and Records people does not lift any thing heavy than sheet of paper.
The weight of paper is very important when we are talking about placing the records repository, mailing, or relocation.

I remember that when we started to receive for storing computer prints out, we put them on the bottom shelf, otherwise shelf could not hold it.
and the box weights much more than average 40 lb in the beginning of the work, and not at the end.

Here is the simple table
http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html
that speaks by itself.

Also, the weight of paper could change during the day, yes, during the day, and it depends on ???? moisture

.
I recall my own experience when I packed the books at mail office according to the standard at that time 2.950 grams and left them overnight in the post office on the floor where I was told.
The packages were ready to mail, but time was over.
When I came on the next morning at 7:00 AM I was surprised that every package gains between 100 and 200 grams over night.
Only the interraption of manager stopped the repackaging of that parcels and the weight was put manualy as 2950 gram.
The reason - the floor in the mail office is not from wood and not from carpet.
Knowing the weight is also important when you go to relocate your holdings - I remember that all containers or cars were full only for 1/3 of space but allmost 100% of weight.
Try to feel the elevator with boxes of paper and count when the Red light of sound will mention about overloading - Safety first.
Regarding plates of negative - very heavy.
I remember that its weight at least double from weight of paper in the same size of box- and this is the reason that why the glass negatives are keptin different sizes of boxes.

Regards,

Alex Babin