From:
Kelly_Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:14:00 -0400
From Fred's post:

>As Larry Medina pointed out, the United States is represented through the
>National Information Standards Organization (NISO). However, NISO is
>NOT "the US arm of ISO". According to the NISO Web page
>(http://www.niso.org/about/), NISO is "a non-profit association accredited
>by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)" and is "Designated by
>ANSI to represent U.S. interests as the Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to
>the International Organization for Standardization's (ISO) Technical
>Committee 46 on Information and Documentation."

I found the ANSI name on the TC46/SC11 web page under 'Participating
Countries'.  It didn't say anything about NISO.  I'm not shooting the
messenger..just that it would be nice if these things were spelled out--
especially to those of us not as familiar with such things as others.  I even
went to NISO's website, clicked on the link to TC46/SC9, which they are the
secretary of, and even THAT says they are from ANSI.

>You might want to look over TC46/SC11's Business Plan, which is available as
>a PDF file from the ISO Web page cited above.

I did, and when it came to the part of 5.2.4--Encourage Comprehensive Input,
I guess my mouth just fell open.  It says:

TC 46 actively promotes and encourages comprehensive input by:
--identifying potential new persons or bodies for inclusion and encourage
convenors of Working Groups to invite experts from all relevant spheres;
--communicating policies with them, including invitations to attend meetings,
seminars, or private interviews;
--participating in all important events;
--encouraging ISO national representative bodies to be more proactive;
--making selective drafts available for public comments.

Did anyone hear about 16175-1, 16175-2, or 16175-3?  The topics of them
are:

 Information and documentation -- Principles and functional requirements for
records in electronic office environments

Each one is a separate area within the topic.  I did a search for '16175' in the
listserv...nothing came up.  These standards, which I would assume would be
important to records management professionals, closed for public comment 3
weeks ago.  Did anyone hear about this?  Is this NISO group informing anyone
(admittedly, only in the US) about these International Standards?  Wouldn't
this be a crucial step...having the people who will actually have to USE these
things...make sure that the Standards actually would make sense in the real
world, and not just on paper?  Why did we have to hear about 30300 from the
UK listserv?

ISO 13028: 'Information and documentation - Implementation guidelines for
digitization of records' looks like it is the next one up...it is in 'CD approved for
registration as DIS' stage...so the Committee Draft is approved for registration
as a draft International Standard, and the next step (I think) will be for the
comments to begin.

I want to thank those who have informed us on the listserv about how some
of these Standards processes work.  If we're going to be 'bound' by these
standards, then we should know when it is our turn to voice our opinions
about them.

Kelly Hamilton, CRM
Records Analyst