From:
Kelly_Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 18:45:37 -0400
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:21:15 -0400, Peter Kurilecz
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>"Cindy Hepfer, ALA Representative to NISO, has brought to our attention a
>clutch of announcements on new ISO activities. "

I went on the NISO website yesterday, and didn't see anything about these
drafts on it.  Under the 'International' tab, there was a section for TC46/SC11
(that's the archives and records management sub-committee)...all it listed
was that NISO participated in 14589 and 23081.

2 things are really 'blowing my mind' about this.

1) NISO doesn't have anything on its own website about these standards, nor
about any recent standards such as 16175, which was fasttracked through
the process, bypassing the public comments stage (according to the LITA
blog).  Did you want to comment on the new standard: Principles and
functional requirements for records in electronic office environments?  You
couldn't, unless you could get a draft from a representative.

2) The vast body of records management professionals (at least the US ones;
I'd love to hear if any records mgmt people in other countries are better
informed!) isn't hearing about internationals standards related to records
management in a timely fashion from...well, from anyone apparently.

If LITA (which is a division of the American Library Association) allows their
members to have input on records management standards, which are taken by
the LITA representative to NISO, then we should have representation as well.

> Natasha Khramtsovsky wrote: Actually, the news are regulary posted here:
>http://litablog.org See, for example, http://litablog.org/2010/06/iso-approval-
>ballots/

I like librarians, and wanted to be one at one point...but it doesn't make sense
that we wouldn't be able to be informed by someone in our own profession.
We also shouldn't have to rely on the Public Comments section in order to
make our voices heard.

I DO want to discuss these 2 standards as well and not just the lack of
communication; that'll have to be a different post!

Kelly Hamilton, CRM
Records Analyst