From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:57:25 -0500
For anyone willing to comment in thread or to me privately offline, I'd like
to find out what retention parameters you use related to correspondence when
you're in a contract relationship.  I think it's pretty common that much
correspondence, some transitory and some for record, takes place in e-mail
now.  IM's, texting and chats too, but I'm focusing on e-mail.

For correspondence related to contracted relationships, how long do you
maintain the correspondence.  I'm not looking to set retention, but curious
what the various perspectives are.  Do you maintain it for the life of the
specific contract?  For the life of the relationship itself (which could
span more than one contract/line of business) or for a set period so that
even if the relationship is ongoing, you purge all correspondence older than
X number of years.  Also, If you purge based on a number of years, is your
destruction consistent with hardcopy and electronic? I know it should be,
but is it?  :-)

If you aren't comfortable replying in thread for everyone, feel free to
reply to my address in the message header.

Tom