From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:24:55 -0700
Interesting article and one that does make you think.

Many organizations have two layers of job titles -- the "HR Title" that puts
your role in a pot with other people of the same grade and corner of the
organization and the "Vanity Title", that the employee gets to choose for him or
herself (depending on the organization's policies about such things). In my
case, my HR title is "Senior Director, IT". That puts me in a comparative pool
with other IT Senior Directors. My Vanity Title is "Senior Director, Information
Governance", which, yes, does sort of have that flavor of the day air about it.
But it fits well on the business card.

My prior employer prohibited titles from business cards. It reduced the expense
of new business cards and encouraged the then-current appraoch that all
employees of the company, from top to bottom, were "associates". It did create
some issues in Asia, as noted in the article, because customers needed to know
the hierarchy in meetings.

Some organizations do limit the use of "Chief" or "Officer" in a job title. In
large organizations, these titles have implications about role and hierarchy and
corporate governance considerations. In ours, you must be an officer of the
company to have "Officer" in your job title, including vanity titles.
Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell