From:
Rich Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:35:55 -0600
Thanks Larry & Peter for your words of wisdom. When an IT manager came to me with this issue, my words were much like yours. Where we are now is, how do we capture the cell phone voice mail and the texts that are records of the organization's business? Especially since the cell being used is a personal phone not an issued phone.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Rich Wilson
Records Management Supervisor Government Records,
Wyoming State Historical Records Coordinator
2301 Central Ave
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0001
Phone: 307-777-5586  Fax: 307-777-7044

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and may be disclosed to third parties.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Rich-
>
> This is another classic case of "cart before horse" logic on the part of an
> organization/agency.  And please don't take this as any criticism of you
> personally.
>
> The concept of allowing, encouraging, or suggesting the use of a technology
> for business purposes without first issuing a policy about how or what it
> should or should not be used for is ill planned.  I'm not saying let's
> ignore or 'not embrace' the technology, but there was seemingly PLENTY of
> time before the use began to determine what the policy about it would be.

I agree with Larry,technology is great but implementing it before the
ramifications are understood  or known can cause problems down the road.
here are a couple of links to cases that point this out

Quon Text Messages at work
http://bit.ly/dk13Y9

Blackberry use and overtime
http://bit.ly/cuQkS7

i'm sure if you sifted through the various RAIN postings from past years you
would find other examples. these articles popped up today

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va