From:
Ilona Koti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 20:21:18 -0700
Hi Todd,

You have an interesting question here.  While some parts could be combined such as extra fields in the records inventory document to capture electronic records, combining both a data map and an inventory at the same time is a huge undertaking.  So you might consider doing the inventory first and then the data map after to see if you missed anything (or vice versa depending on which one is the most critical to your organization right now).

Inventories, retention schedules and data maps can all be discoverable so if you combine too much information in one document you might be required to turn over the entire document to outside counsel so I'd be careful about how much you include in one document that could open the door to other discovery options and a lot of electronic data that might have otherwise gone unnoticed.  Also, a data map should contain very specific technical details that are probably irrelevant to the records group and would take up unnecessary space on your inventory sheets.

Consider both the records inventory and the data map and then select the fields that you think you need to make your inventory comprehensive.  I have some really good examples of data maps so let me know if you'd like to see them.

Good luck on your project -ink

Ilona N. Koti
MLS, MS IM, CPC, CRM, PMP
Principal Consultant
http://www.cvcg.org

Crystalview Consulting Group / Records & Information Management Consulting / 2883 Forebay Road Pollock Pines, CA 95726 / 530 644-4577 Office / 408 705-8253 Mobile / [log in to unmask]