From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:24:52 -0700
In my case Jesse's statement is true that 'the info gathered for the data
map' is 'a prerequisite for the records inventory' because, for me, that
electronic info is the 'way in' to collecting details about the most
important records/data which is the 'structured' data. How else would you
even begin with complex systems/applications?

As a precursor to a Data Map, I collect (reactively for law suits and
proactively to establish 'Application List' as an index required to
be maintained by IT department) all the same categories of information that
Ginny listed except  'size on disk' 'Append how many records annually'.
Additional categories I collect and require for future Application List are:
IT Application Manager, Maintenance Responsibility, IT SME, Database
Administrator, Business Department (users), Business Owner,
System/application dependencies, Most recent version, Server Name, Server
Type.

The hardest categories to get information on are (1) actual names of IT
staff and (2)  retention/migration details like ' How long keep records in
database'. The latter might be hard because  IT people don't think in those
terms -for example such lifecycle migration and retention period details
are never in their 'Application Documentation on file'.

I would definitely keep the various types of data collection records
separate for the reason Ilona mentions.

--
Maureen Cusack
San Francisco, CA