From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:04:27 -0800
Thanks to Paul for posting this link-  Time difference prevented me from
beating him to the punch

Personally, I think of this glossary as the 'go to' source for definitions
that span the various aspects of managing information, especially those
assets that exist in physical formats.

As for the comment  "...records managers may maintain records, store
records, or preserve records, which are three very different functions, but
they do not archive records..."   I must disagree strongly.  Many
organizations don't have either a records manager or an archivist, but those
that have only one (especially business based organizations in the US) will
have a Records Manager, NOT an archivist.   And in these cases, the RM does
archive records and objects and makes all of the same decisions made by an
archivist regarding preservation, control of access, indexing, description,
cataloging, etc.

I know this to be a fact because it was part of my role in the past in a
public utility that was approaching their 100th anniversary and never had an
archivist, but had a Records Manager (in fact, 3 of us) for over 40 years.
About seven years after everthing was organized, cataloged, accounted for,
provenance determined, and protected they decided to hire one- at a salary
about 30% below that of the RMs because they had little to do and the value
of the function they performed for the organization was limited. About 4
years later, the position was eliminated during a reorganization.

Many in the Records Management profession have seen the role of an archivist
as one dedicated more to the long term preservation of historical objects
that have met the end of their usefulness for business purposes, yet still
have reference value or are required to be retained to meet ongoing
regulatory retention requirements, but are not necessary to serve business
needs.

Larry
--
*Larry Medina