From:
"Daniell, Yvonne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:41:39 -0500
Todd,

I believe your question concerns what we in Virginia call "Miss Utility." It is a program by which one phone call generates notifications to all utilities that must be marked prior to digging, etc. Our retention for that is 5 years after completion of project, then destroy.

The part of the VA code that addresses this issue is referred to as the Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act... perhaps your state has something known by a similar name.

Hope that can help.

Yvonne

YVONNE DANIELL ermp
RECORDS PROGRAM MANAGER