From:
Bill Millican <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:28:25 -0600
Greetings to All from Bill Millican:

Some of you know who I am and many do not. For the many who do not, I have
been in this awesome profession on managing records and information for over
35 years, first as an accountant, then as a law firm administrator, then as
a law firm records manager, and the last 12 years as a consultant. I work
for a Kansas City, MO based records and document management company called
Media Services. We store business records, shred paper, store and rotate
backup media, convert paper documents to electronic documents (image), and
assistant our clients in developing better strategies for managing their
records and information.

*The Destruction and Loss of Data - Particularly Backup Data that is
Improperly Stored*:

Always sad; but even sadder because it is so easily avoidable. I have
nothing much to add to what Larry has already offered, except this. The
problem continues to persist and for really some of the poorest reasons
known to any of us. I see this daily and it saddens me to see companies (and
individuals) put themselves at such great risk when there are so many viable
and cost-effective options available. If your organization falls into this
category of "risk takers", don't stop until you've led them to a better
solution. Step on as many toes as is necessary, but get them to a place of
safety. Climb whatever thorn-laden ladder needs climbing, but get it done.

My "old man" two cents worth -----

Bill Millican
Consultant and Account Manager
Media Services