From:
Danny Kee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:31:39 -0600
My Records Management job will be opening January 1, 2011.  The Employer is Smith County, Texas.  The Records Manager will be the Records Management Officer for the County representing all 30 or more departments.  If hired you will be able to hire one of the assistants because one of the current ones will be retiring at the same time.

The pay is $44,405 a year with full benefits such as health Insurance.  You can accrue a day of vacation and a day of sick leave every month.  Probation will last three months.  You will the Director of your own Department of you and two others.  Sometimes temporary employees can be hired.  You will answer to the Commissioners Court who to this date after 26 years have hardly ever tried to micromanage the department.

Tyler is a nice place to live with a lot of Medical Care and Hospitals available.  My wife and I plan to stay in the area.
Someone with experience with records management in Texas local government would have an edge in learning the job and would know what to expect.

Some of the duties and responsibilities that I currently do or have.  But when you get here you can adjust them.

1.        Serve as Records Management of Smith County.   Be caught up on Texas rules and regulations and follow the Texas Retention Schedules which are a very sound system developed by the late Michael Heskette and his staff at the Texas Library and Archives Commission.

2.       Run the small records storage area.  You or your employees will have to deliver files every day.

3.       Accession new records when necessary.

4.       Dispose of records that have met their retention periods and need to be destroyed.

5.       Advise county offices on record keeping practices.

6.       Plan for the future and the use of technology to make operations more efficient.

7.       Plan a disaster recovery plan for records.

Tyler is a good place to settle down and also get medical care.  My current salary can increase depending on how well you do your job and present yourself.

If you are still interested you may send resumes to Leonardo Brown via email at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
If by mail you may reach him at 200 E. Ferguson, Suite 202, Tyler, Texas 75702.  His fax is (903) 590-4640.