From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:18:53 -0500
This begs the question of how much security is needed while the bins are
inside your building. We are an A/E firm and so throughout our offices
most of the need is for bins with large openings for large rolls of
drawings, so generally we leave the bins with the lid completely open
while they are in the departmental areas. For Accounting and other areas
that require internal security, the bins are locked with only the slot
open. When all bins are taken to a common area after filled, they are
closed and locked.  And of course the vendor locks all of them before
transport.

We are a small company so we have the "luxury" of doing it this way. For
larger companies who occupy larger offices and have determined that more
stringent internal security is needed, you could leave your bins open
only in the departmental areas that place large rolls of drawings in
them. Then lock the full bins before they leave the department to go to
the common staging area.

If you need your bins to be locked within the department that generates
the large rolls of drawings, then possibly you have security issues
beyond bin opening size, and should address them as part of a larger
security strategy. (ex: security protocols and physical access to the
departmental area.)

Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh