From:
Lauren Nathanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:20:41 -0500
Hello!

My HR Team is divided over whether it is appropriate to have copies of
identification cards (Social Security, Drivers License) in the employee files. I
thought I would reach out to the List to see what other organizations are
doing.

Some background:
We have an online vendor which takes care of our I9 Forms. There is no way
to attach copies of the Drivers License or Social Security cards in this system.

Colorado requires an additional form and we are required to keep the copies of
identification cards.

We would like to keep the form and ID copies in the employee files, but our HR
Managers are divided on whether this is appropriate. Note: The DL number and
SS number are already on other forms in the employee file. I think the issue
has more to do with auditing - if the I9s/forms get audited, then the auditors
have access to the complete employee file.

I would really appreciate any feedback on what you are doing within your
organizations.

Thanks!

Lauren Nathanson, CRM
Records Manager