From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:09:02 -0500
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:40:46 -0600, Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm wondering what the
>differences any of you have seen or dealt with when comparing the results of
>our professional circle salary surveys through ARMA and ICRM vs. general
>market surveys which simply address records professionals, but may not be as
>specific as to the duties.

There's no doubt that the surveys done where of a greater percentage of
respondents with 'a dog in the fight' will result in higher numbers and/or a
wider range of numbers tied to position titles and/or duties across the
spectrum of the profession.

> Many companies don't have a knowledge base to
>comprehend what a records program can and should do so when they interpret
>general market surveys they may include a lot of factors.  And as hard as
>ARMA and ICRM work at producing good information, I'm sure they can be
>viewed, unfairly, as having some industry bias.

And that is to be expected.  If they work to support the goals of the
profession and or their members, then they should ensure the products put
them in a good light.  If they don't who is going to continue paying dues...
certainly not me... =)

>Value is a funny thing.  I've always strived to demonstrate hard cost
>justifications in savings year to year so for my own peace of mind I know
>I'm paying for myself based on the knowledge and expertise I bring, but I
>know there are real reasons and logic for attaching certain amounts of value
>to particular duties and responsibilities.

As funny as 'value' is, SURVEYS are even funnier.  Questions can be tailored
so there is no right response, you have to select the best of the worst or
not answer at all.  In other cases, you get so many choices that your answer
may fall between two- then what do you do?

Remember this exchange back in late December?

Surveys are strange animals... they can be tailored to give whatever results
you want based on how questions are asked and what the selection of

Do you still beat your wife?

Yes
No

(Is there a correct answer?)

How often to you kick your dog?

Less often then in the past
More often than in the past
Less often than you beat your wife
More often than you beat your wife
The same frequency with which you beat your children

(Again, is there a correct answer?)

Larry