From:
Marc Fresko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:03:12 -0000
There is a fascinating new "spin" on this from the MoReq2010 project
(MoReq2010 is meant to be a new version of MoReq that will take over from
MoReq2, though the status of the current draft is a bit unclear).  The DRAFT
MoReq2010 requirements are based on the idea that records will outlive any
single ERM solution, and that therefore (a) records must always be
accompanied by all the metadata they will need for their entire lifecycle
(rather than only the metadata needed to manage them in their current
system); and (b) all ERM solutions (well, all MoReq-compliant solutions)
must be based on the resulting metadata model.  This has a number of
profound implications on syst6em functionality, which are covered in the
draft MoReq2010 specification (publicly available at
http://contribute2moreq.eu). MoReq2010 also throws out most of the
assumptions and paradigms we associate with MoReq2 (including our current
understanding of audit trails, "document type", vital records, capture and
many others) and several similar specifications, replacing them (IMHO) with
more powerful concepts that arguably are better aligned to the capabilities
of contemporary information technology, rather than depending on the
historical paper paradigm.  Pretty revolutionary, in other words.
Regardless of what happens to MoReq2010 and the current draft, there are
some interesting issues here.

Marc Fresko