From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 20:32:19 -0800
A couple thoughts about Google Apps.... and RecMan.

Google has a couple classes of service. The Gmail that most of us are used to is free and not subject to the same service levels and resiliency as the Google Apps that is available to enterprises for a fee. The recent incident resulted in little to no loss of email, according to Google and the event is discussed here: http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/gmail-back-soon-for-everyone.html

I talked to the RecMan people at the ARMA Conference last fall. They have an interesting product, but I didn't do a deep dive with them. They utilize an API set from Google to manage the documents in Google Apps and I think that the premise of their product is to assign tags to documents, then manage the retention of a document from the assigned tag. RecMan sits outside Google Apps and amounts to a management console. What I'm not sure of is if each user has to have software installed or not.

I had some concerns about the company (it is very small) and the product (it is very reliant on Google not changing the API set and Google has a bad habit of undocumented changes to their API). Google is also very resistant to administrative access into the mail store.It can be done, but Google really doesn't like it because it is a potential security issue.

In the fall, RecMan was the only product out there to try to do records management in Google Apps. They may well still be the only product. I think it is worth a deep dive and an understanding of how they can address the concerns of both how they work with Google and how the product itself works.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell